Monday, July 2, 2007

Partners in Crime

One of the greatest joys of the live concert experience is an unexpected duet as one rich rock star brings a random rich rock star friend on stage and they launch into a tuneless, ten-minute version of some long-forgotten song. This experience is particularly popular amongst the crowd as they can go home and ecstatically tell their friends that Neil Young jammed with Sonic Youth.
I enjoy these collaborations as much as the next guy. But listening to bootlegs a week later, I am invariably disappointed.
The one exception to this was the 2004 Vote for Change Tour. I took a month off from term papers and exams to follow the tour despite being a Bush supporter. Springsteen, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., John Fogerty. I would have voted for Lyndon La Rouche to catch these gigs.
Listening to some of my bootlegs today, I'm amazed at how well the numerous collaborations hold up. Among the highlights are REM and Springsteen on Man on the Moon, Springsteen and Fogerty on Fortunate Son and REM and Eddie Vedder on Begin the Begin.
But take a look at what I would rank as one of my greatest concert experiences (beaten only by Guided by Voices' final ever concert). Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band along with Eddie Vedder on Better Man.



And as a bonus, the worst ever collaboration. The Jesus and Mary Chain at their reunion gig at Coachella decide to invite Scarlett Johansson to sing backing vocals on Just Like Honey. Jesus, all she has to do is say 'honey' a few times. How could she screw that up so badly.

No comments: